Friday, February 15, 2008

Share your precinct caucus stories!

We want to hear from you! Did you attend your precinct caucus last week? What was it like? Did you submit a resolution on early childhood? How was it received? Share your story in the comments section below. We look forward to hearing from you!

My precinct caucus in St Paul was busier than I've ever seen it. Our precinct met at a near-by elementary school along with two other precincts. The parking was difficult, but I could feel the momentum as my neighbors were streaming in from all corners. Inside the school there was a lot of confusion about where to go. There were long lines at the two tables where people could confirm which precinct they lived in. Fortunately, I had my reminder written on my hand: W5-P3. Still, with the long lines and crowded hallways it took me about 10 minutes to wind my way back to the multi-purpose room where my precinct was meeting.

At 8:00pm the ballots began to be counted and the 40 or so of us still in the room prepared to introduce resolutions. I prepared a simple resolution encouraging my party to support increased investments in early care and education. There were resolutions on a variety of issues: health care, transportation, free and open internet communications, and family leave just to name a few. After I read my resolution there was a loud round of applause (was it just me, or was the applause for early childhood more enthusiastic than for other resolutions?). Once all the resolutions were read we voted to pass them on "in summation" to be considered at the Senate District convention.

Finally, the ballots were announced for our precinct and over 230 people voted that evening. I went home feeling encouraged and hopeful. Every election is important, but it's hard not to think that this year is an especially important time - both for our country as a whole and for our youngest citizens.

What about you? What's your precinct caucus story? Share in the comments below.

1 comment:

Kat said...

That's great Ruth! Good to hear the folks in Becker County are so supportive.